406 Days With the Fuji X100F

406 days ago my friends at Fujifilm asked me if I would like to be one of 50 Official Fuji X Photographers to beta test the new (at the time) Fuji X100F.

390 days ago the camera arrived.

12,942 frames later, I am still shooting 90% of my personal work with the X100F.  I simply love this camera.

Over the past few years I have worked with pre-production models of many Fuji products but, as a long time X100 series user, this was the camera that I was really looking forward to.  I, like many others, have tried to put into words what it is about this camera that inspires me so much; but to be honest, I still can’t.  The X100 series, and especially the X100F, really is the embodiment of the phrase “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts”.  I am very fortunate to also own an X-T2 and an X-Pro2, both incredibly capable cameras, but it is the X100F that I always reach for first unless I have a specific need for one of the other cameras.

Two years ago I wrote an article entitled, “What’s next for the Fuji X100T?”, in which I shared my wish list for the successor to that camera.  Earlier this year Fuji not only delivered, but surpassed everything that I had hoped for (other than weather sealing).  As I sit here, contemplating what I would love to see in the successor to the Fuji X100F, the truth is that the list is pretty small as the “F” ticks all of the boxes for me (key words:  “for me”).  Yes, I would like to see weather sealing come to the next generation of this camera, but I can also say that I have shot in rain with the X100F many times and have not had any problems.  I would like the ability to select the number of film simulations I can bracket (I usually only want two), and I would like to be able to save a RAW file alongside an Advanced Filter image.  Sure, we could always use faster autofocus, but there is nothing in this camera that is a barrier to creating the work I see in my head.   On the contrary, there is something elusive about it that inspires me to go out and make new work.  As many others have said before me:  this is definitely my desert island camera.

As I reflect back on this past year in my photographic life, I’d like to share two dozen images taken with the Fuji X100F (some that were posted in previous articles and some that haven’t been posted before).  The versatility of this camera never ceases to amaze me and I can’t wait to see what Fuji does next.

Do you shoot with an X100 series camera?  If so I’d love to hear your thoughts about it in the comments below!

37 thoughts on “406 Days With the Fuji X100F

1. Jeremy Williams says:

I think you should sell prints : )

Hi Ian. I use an X100T and enjoy it, shooting manual unless I hand it off. What I have learned is that the power of this camera is shown in different ways:

PERSONALLY
    – Fun to use
    – People like it and ask questions, keeps things interesting and more relaxed.
    – Compact enough to carry around in a jacket pocket.
    – Can pass for an old camera instead of a pricy bit of technology (safety).
    – Did I mention fun to use?
    – I don’t feel like a tourist.

TECHNICALLY
    – Solid. Solid feeling (weight), solid acting (controls), solid shooting.
    – The power of film simulations is.. wow. The more I learn the colors of film the more appealing they are, way more.
    – You can use the Fuji film simulations in Lightroom on raw images.
    – I can and have set this up to work just like a film camera.
    – Much more..

NEGATIVES
    – I have become a camera snob : ) and think that people with big, black, rounded cameras at fairs and graduations are amateurs (I know, I know, not always true..).

OFF ALL THIS there is one thing that make this camera part of the reason I love “Fuji” photography:
    I can take a high quality picture, wifi it to my phone for light editing, print it to an Instax printer and hand it to someone in 3 minutes. And then post it online. And walk away with a RAW file for later use. *This *Is *Incredible. All with a cool camera : )
    The smiles of the Mom and daughter in Bulgaria who have probably never had their picture taken, much less have a print copy, is what breathes life into “Photography”. Handing a print to the CEO of a company with his wife and their closest friends (one who might not live long) is beyond words. Yes, other cameras might do this, but not in the same way. It is part of what the X100 series is, building and growing relationships.

The last thing I want to say is it doesn’t matter if it’s black or silver. You will love both : )

– Jeremy

2. Justin Cliffe says:

Hi Ian

Agree with your comments re the X100f, just love mine and, as you say, it’s usually my go-to camera unless I need my X-T2 for a particular purpose.

Interested that you use it for 90% of your work – do you have / make use of either, or both, of the adapter lenses, or take everything with the standard, 23mm, lens?

Cheers
    Justin

Good morning Justin,

I do have both of the adapters, yes. I would say that my breakdown of usage is that 10% of my X100 photos are taken with the WCL, 85% taken with the native lens, and 5% taken with the TCL.

When I need a specific focal length for work (i.e. portraits, wedddings, etc) I am happy to pull out the X-Pro2 or X-T2… but otherwise I find the X100F with the adapters allows me to accomplish quite a bit.

3. Maria Ricossa says:

Hi Ian, my first real camera was the fuji X100s and I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. Now with the X100f I realize This is heaven! At this point it does everything I want a camera to do and I cant imagine needing another. Occasionally I would like to zoom in on something but generally if I want a closer shot I move myself. as a street photographer I couldnt ask for a better camera.

Hello Maria,

The single focal length, which can feel like a limitation on paper, is one of this camera’s greatest assets in my opinion. You have to work to make the image you see in your mind, which makes you a stronger photographer.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

4. Richard Keshen says:

Funny how you can have an emotional attachment to a camera. I was an X100T user and recently purchased the X100F. It almost felt like I was cheating on the X100T when I made the purchase. I’ve been on an extended holiday and before leaving had to hide my X100T in a drawer so she wouldn’t see me packing my X100F to take away with me. Over the past few weeks I’ve grown to love the X100F. The joy stick, the positioning of the buttons, the Acros simulation, the improved sensor. Yes weather sealing would have been nice but that hasn’t taken away my love for this camera. Two more weeks and I’ll be back home. How do I break it to my X100T when I get back that our relationship is over?

That post is hilarious, thank you for that!

I agree though, the upgrade from the T to the F is an aggregate of all the little things you mentioned that add up to an amazing user experience. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying it.

5. Thomas says:

X100s owner here!
    I have writen before in my blog my thought around the X series and my beliefs that with these cameras you can do many genres of photography.

Lately I have been to photoshoots with a dslr and also my beloved X100s. When I get back to the studio I almost always choose the images taken with this small camera and not the dslr. Technical issues destroy the shots of my dslr but in the exact same conditions X100 camera brings superior results.

And as Williams mentions above everyday I become snob to the dslr and I let it ly in the camera bag as a back up.

I know that X100F is a good next step. But for the moment I am considering buyng the teleconverter and the wide converte in order to add two more angle options! I am pretty sure then I wont need any other camera.

Two very important technical things this camera series offers( among all the others)?

Leaf Shutter!
    and
    Never Dirty Sensor!

Very nice article Ian and very High aesthetic street photography! And also many very good thoughts in the comments!

Congratsulations!

PS. If you have time you can read more of my thoughts on the X100 series in the following link–> https://thomaskaranikas.com/photography/x-photographer/

I will definitely check out your link Thomas. I light portrait subjects every so often and for that work you simply can’t beat a leaf shutter…. it opens up so many doors and avenues for creative lighting with minimal gear.

Thanks for commenting!

6. uniquefotoart says:

I was a late Fuji “adopter”. I finally sold my Nikon D800 and lenses to get the X-T2. I loved it and used it for all my shooting needs. I became a disciple of all things Fuji.

But there was something missing. Whenever I went out to shoot street with x-t2 I ended up taking my camera bag as I wanted a couple of lenses.

And…there were all these great photographers on YouTube waxing lyrical about the 100f. My good friend Chris always had his 100t with him.

I craved, I desired, I bought (2nd hand but only by 2 months).

I love it – for all the reasons you and others so eloquently stated much better than I could.

But it slides into my jacket pocket like a dream. No bag no extras. It’s small, it just feels right and it nails the shot 90% of the time. I just love the feel of it and the way it takes images like a ghost.

I still use my x-t2 – but for street it’s the 100F that charms me.

Excellent commentary, thank you for sharing that. As someone who is primarily a street photography I agree the X100F feels “purpose built” for that work. I love my other cameras, don’t get me wrong, but this is a great tool for use in so many environments.

7. Ernie says:

Your photos are beautiful, communicate so much, and are tremendously inspiring!
    I’m new to the X100F and its size is so liberating.
    Ernie

8. zkedziora says:

Hey,
    Great post, many thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    I have recently used X100F in Bangkok for a week. Will share my thoughts in a blog post on my website in few weeks time. One thing I can say now:

I AM TRULY AMAZED WITH THIS LITTLE BEAST

It was great companion for my dslr’s at 4days crazy Hindu wedding and a wedding reception.

Thanks again

Oh man, Bangkok is high on my list of travel destinations! I’m looking forward to seeing your blog post on it.

9. Murray McMillan says:

Fantastic shots Ian as always. I had one, and sent it back. I didnt like it at F2, felt the images weren’t as sharp as I’d like.

I did get a loan of one again- used it to document a U2 trip to Dublin and enjoyed using it again.

Like- the dog shot. Is that at F2?

10. magslifeinpixel says:

Great pictures Ian! And it’s not only because of the X100F…. your eyes did most of the job but of course the X100F did a fabulous job translating what you saw in those images. Un régal pour les yeux! Thank you for sharing.

11. Peter Goossens says:

I am a fanatic Fuji photographer. I work with the xpro 2 and the xt-2 ( I’m a food photographer) for my job. But the camera I love far out the most, is my F…best friend I ever had😎. I always have my F on me, he brings me joy and great pictures….
    By the way, I love your work!

Grtz, Peter

Many thanks for the kind words Peter. I love great food photography.. it can make such an impact on our dining experience.

12. David says:

Great images Ian. Spent a fortnight in the USA with ‘just’ the Fuji X100F … only once felt the need (but resisted) to borrow wife’s XT2 for the image of Empire State Building through arch of Brooklyn bridge. Still to get the best from it (spent years with Nikon’s which I will continue with for wildlife images) but when I get the correct combination of shutter, ISO and aperture images are superb. For me the perfect travel camera.

• David says:

It was Ian – took us a while to find the alignment 😉 only thanks to ex work colleague that we went to the area. Captured some great sunsets – or rather wife did with XT2. Loving your posts, I need to get to Paris next year.

13. Wes Cowley says:

Ian, thanks for the post. You have a great eye. I started Fuji life with the X100, moved to the S, and now to the F. A simply superb camera and makes photography fun again. The F is always with me as were its predecessors. I recently spend two weeks in the Highlands of Scotland, and for the first time traveled with only the X100f. It is as close to a perfect camera for me as I can imagine. An ex-Nikon shooter, I also own an X-T1 and X-T10 which I use now only for Real Estate work, the F for virtually everything else. Don’t think it can be much improved for me.

Hey Wes!

I usually only travel with the X100F too. I usually bring a camera as backup that stays in the safe, but the F is the only one on my side as I walk around unless I have a specific need for another focal length. It’s great.

14. Stefan Stifter says:

Where do I start. The X100 was the reason I sold my entire canon gear and got into Fuji. I know that you should not be emotionally attached to shiny black ( or silver ) objects , but I am. I skipped the „S“ and got the „ T“ . Handsdown the best camera I have ever owned, I know that’s a strong statement, and yes if you compare the specs to others it does not always make sense. But if you combine the feel , the disgn, the size , usability and more than anything else the image quality than there is something magical about it.

Than I made a huge mistake. I had the opportunity to buy a Leica M240, for no others reason than always wanting one and believing the hype. I sold my X100T and imidialy regretted it, it was like breaking up with the girl that you were supposed to marry . The leica was nice to look at , and that was it. I missed everything about the X100T.

After a month of trying to get used to the Leica , I found myself picking up my Xpro2, I love that camera but it is just a little to big to take every day. It’s moments like that where you find out how liberating it is to own a camera where the lense is already chosen for you , and you just don’t bring a second one , no matter what.

So last week I sold the Leica ( thank god for Craigslist ) and instead of going to the bank to deposit the the money I headed straight to the store to get the X100F. It’s like haven’t my old girlfriend back, just that she is even hotter now. I love the new dial, the sensor is great and I can finally use the same batteries as in my Xpro2. The X100 (S,T,F) is one of those things that you have to not have for a while just to know how good it is.

Thanks for sharing that Stefan, great comments. I especially loved this part:

“It’s moments like that where you find out how liberating it is to own a camera where the lens is already chosen for you”.

15. robin mayoff says:

In the last year, I have shot 95% of my images with my X100F. I did add the Tele and wide lenses. I was previously using my Nikon D810, but found the weight and bulk to be too much for hiking and too big for street photography.

At this point, I am planning to upgrade to the Fuji X-T2, to get some added focal length, tilt screen and weather sealing. If the X100F had weather sealing, I would probably wait even longer before getting an X-T2. Either way, I am keeping the X100F for street images.