96 Hours in Paris – Part One

I am consumed by the city.  This isn’t my first trip here, nor will it be my last, but the magic, the wonderment, it never goes away.  My mind takes in the people, the sounds, the smells, the architecture, the beauty that lays at times under a thin veneer of grime and I am held in its sway.  This city has a soul.

Walking through history on streets that are more than a thousand years old, streets built long before my country was born, I can’t stop seeing things to shoot.  Dichotomy applies:  I miss my wife, my daughter, my dog… but I am an artist in Paris with nothing but my camera and free time to create.

And so I do…

Click here to view part two of this series

Note:   All photos taken with the Fuji X100F, or the Fuji X-Pro2 with the 14mm f/2.8 or the 50mm f/2 lens, using the Acros film simulation.

13 thoughts on “96 Hours in Paris – Part One

1. Jeremy Williams says:

Street photography is usually so terrible that I’ve never liked the term or understand why photographers are so draw to it. But here, it makes sense. This is probably the first time I’ve ever wanted to go shoot “street” : )

Those are very kind words, thank you for that. Street is a difficult genre to nail… All of the important elements in a photograph (subject, background, moment, light, etc) still need to be there but you can’t control so many of the variables. When you get an image you are happy with though it feels great.

• Jeremy Williams says:

It’s good stuff, Ian. Just went through the images again and each one is “art” to me but for different reasons. Maybe I just get these, but I see it, little things like the clock being at noon, or there is the shadow of a bird with the people, or there’s a second girl on a scooter. Plus triangles and spacing, and I think every image has at least something that is straight to solidify the image. The more I look at them the more I see. Isn’t that what good art is? : )

Thanks Jeremy!

I love the subjectivity that comes with art. When I am in museums I don’t read the names of pieces of work, nor do I read the artist’s statements, until AFTER I have looked at a piece and had my own reaction to it. I want art to hit me on a visceral level. Then, it is often the little things that make a piece meaningful to me… those things you don’t see until you have looked at an image a few times or gotten lost in the frame for a few minutes.

Man, I love art.

2. Dite says:

Note: All photos taken with the Fuji X100F, or the Fuji X-Pro2 with the 14mm f/2.8 or the 50mm f/2 lens, using the Acros film simulation.

Can you be specific which Acros that you used? Red, Green, Yellow?
    And what about other settings like shadow, highlight, NR, sharpness etc do you keep it at 0?

Hello!

I use the Acros+R filter almost exclusively. I don’t make many in camera setting changes, just a slight push to my shadows and highlights, as I like to nail the exposure in camera and then tweak in post if needed.