Seattle, the Fuji X-Pro2, street photography, a chance encounter

“Is that a film camera?”

That’s how it started, asked as I was taking a photo of a gentleman walking down the street by Pike Place Market.

“Sort of”, I replied, showing him the photo that I just took on the back of the camera. “It’s the Fujifilm X-Pro2.  It’s all digital, but it has the soul of a film camera.”

“Nice pic, that looks just like Acros film”.

“It is”, I replied with a smile.

His name is Steve.  He is in his sixties and shoots street photography with a film Leica camera, in full manual of course.   I told him he looked just like the actor Sam Elliott.  He told me he got that a lot.  He had a hilarious mix of dry sarcasm and “crankiness”, but clearly was a man with decades of experience looking through a viewfinder.

We talked for about 20 minutes, during which he said so many pearls about photography and life that I can’t remember them all.  He spoke a lot about the “young kids” who are out shooting today and how they complicate photography.  There was a bit of the “back in my day” tone, I definitely didn’t agree with everything he said, but he shared his ideas with such conviction and passion that it was enjoyable just to listen.  At one point he said:

“Photography can be as simple or complex as you chose to make it”

and

“Photography can be intellectual, instinctive, or both”

I asked him what he meant by these statements and he told me that he has gone through many different phases in his life.  When he was new, he instinctually took photos for fun because he “didn’t know any better”.  Then he went through a phase where he over thought everything.  He got obsessive, he read every book on photography he could find, he over analyzed photos, he shot relentlessly, etc.  He said that in hindsight he was glad he went through this phase because it helped him grow, but then quickly added, “I was a total ass to be around though”.  He followed that up by saying he just shoots instinctively now;  he loves walking in “his city”, he loves meeting people and he is happy if he occasionally makes a frame that he really likes.  It’s like he went full circle.

Right around that time my phone announced that I had a new message, which launched us into a conversation about “kids and their damn phones”.

(For the record:  I’m in my forties, but it was nice to be called a kid)

I can’t remember his exact wording, but it was something like this:

“The problem with the internet and many of today’s photographers is that they worry way too much about what other photographers are doing.  Just worry about what you are doing.”

This stood out to me, as it speaks to the obsession that some photographers seems to have with other photographers.   It sometimes feels like pluralism is dying in the photography industry:  People have strong beliefs on what makes for a good photograph or a good camera, but it seems harder and harder to find people who realize that those strong beliefs are merely that:  their beliefs, their opinions, their points of view.

Steve’s whole point was that we should stop worrying about all of that and just spend more time making ourselves happy by taking photos.  I’d love to say that we were really bonding by this point in the conversation, but this actually when things turned against me.  Steve asked me what I spent most of my photographic time doing, to which I replied “I shoot, edit, process, share, talk to other photographers, teach, write, blog, Instagram, Tweet, etc”.

(Crickets chirped for a minute… and it is usually only my wife who looks at me with such disapproval)

He thought for a moment, shrugged his shoulders, and finally said:

“Well, just make sure you’re focused on your own art.  Make yourself happy… the rest is all bullsh*t.”

I’m not sure what he meant by “the rest”, but with that he moved on down the street and so did I… just another one of those chance encounters that happen when we spend time on the streets.

Now, do I agree with everything he said?  Of course not.  Clearly I love social media and can say, with absolute certainty, that it has been instrumental in my success and even more importantly it has brought me many new friendships that I truly value.  But, hidden in his strongly worded opinion was an important message:  Do YOUR thing.  Make YOU happy…. whatever that looks like.

For the rest of the day I took a few good photos, stumbled across (and into) a Black Lives Matter rally, met a few new friends, booked two new clients via the magic of the internet, ate some good food and spent some time sitting by the water. It was very much a Ferris Bueller kind of day for me (look it up kids), which also served as a reminder that we can either get carried along by life or we can learn to set the pace.

I thought a lot about Steve’s messaging that day.  More and more I am coming to believe that the main thing stopping people from being happy and living the life they want to live is fear, which reminds me of this quote from Steve Jobs:

“Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.”

As depressing as this quote is there is so much truth to it. I look around me at the people who are truly living their lives and they all, to the last person, took conscious control of their own destiny. They don’t argue about the little things, they don’t worry about what everyone else is doing, they simply value the important things and are consistently and mindfully living the life that they want to live.

I went to Seattle for some photos and food, but came back with my mind racing with new ideas.  Life is funny sometimes.

And, to wrap this up, why did this conversation even happen in the first place?  Because Fujifilm took a chance six years ago and brought us the amazing X100… the camera that changed everything for so many of us.  Years later, Steve saw an X series camera around my neck and asked me a question about it.  So, with that said, I think it is fitting to end this post with a new series of images I made that weekend, all shot with the Fujifilm X-Pro2, the 23mm f/2 and the new 50mm f/2.

23 thoughts on “Seattle, the Fuji X-Pro2, street photography, a chance encounter

Thank you my friend! I always appreciate you taking the time to pop by and comment.

How are things out your way?

• FULLSPECTRA says:

Quiet, productive and, picturesque, as usual. Except the quiet-bit! All good thanks Ian.
        All the best… Rob.

1. RogerB says:

Ian, thanks for your vivid description of your encounter with the Steves of the world.

The wisdom of your street Steve reminds me of an shoot I had once with Tom Abrahamsson after one of several business meetings I used to have in Vancouver. I don’t think Tom saw it as a classroom event and it took me a couple of weeks to soak in all that happened. I may have been about your age then and now I may be about Tom’s age then. He certainly had a wisdom jump on me.

The fact that you share your full-time-photography-life with us is truly a treat. Thank you for your efforts.

Steve Jobs was quirky in my mind, but his unfortunate illness gave him the clarity of life’s purpose that many have in that situation. It’s good to be reminded of it. I’m close to my mid 70’s and reading his words doesn’t seem so outrageous. I have a friend or loved-one who is facing those crises seemingly every day. You don’t want to be my age before you realize that what Mr. Jobs said is the result of what we will nearly all face sometime in the future. I have a close friend who still survives long beyond that epiphany – we should all be that kind of contributor.

It seems to me that you practice all this as you speak.

Thank you for sharing your talent and these contributions.

Roger

2. Pavlos says:

Ian you really inspired me with your article. It is a pity that we all forget to live our lives by not doing what we love. Need to comment about your photos? Nahh, excellent as always

It took me a long time to learn that my friend, I had to go through some rough times last year as you know. It was a great reminder though. Life is short, we all need to make the most of it.

3. JohnAmes says:

Nice post Ian. I love your story about the “old guy”. He seems to love his art. I’d like to ask this question as I own a T2 and a X100 4, do you prefer one over the other for street photography and if so why? Thanks John

Hey John,

For street I prefer the X100F, but I can’t say way. I just know when I brought the X-Pro2 on this trip, as I was working with the new 50 f/2, it didn’t feel as natural. That isn’t a knock on the X-Pro2 either, I LOVE that camera, but something just feels so right to me about the X100F. It’s hard to put into words.

4. Paul Kowalczuk says:

Great stuff Ian. Love the ‘hat lady’ shot but may have cropped out the figure in the background. Enjoyed your article too.

Paul

5. Olafphoto says:

Ian,

Enjoyed your post a lot. I always like talking to older photographers as they don’t use any filters and say what they really think. I am especially fascinated by his remarks about “shooting instinctively.” This is one element in seeing, which is impossible to teach but makes a huge difference in final outcome. Of course, nobody is talking about it because it is quite uncomfortable for our industry. I am glad you included this quote in your piece and raised the subject. I have this very subject on my board of ideas to write about and I think your fascinating encounter with this gentlemen should provide me with a jolt to do just that.

Thanks for sharing. Fascinating stuff! I especially like the image #7 (a view from above) – great light, composition and placement of elements.

All the best,

Olaf

Hey buddy,

Thanks for commenting. Regarding your thoughts about instinct:

I think everyone starts out doing things instinctually. We have to, really, as we have nothing else as beginners. The natural evolution is to then take steps to learn your craft and I think for most photographers this is where it becomes all about gear and technical proficiency. The next step, the most important step actually, has to be to then internalize those technicals, forget about the gear, and be guided by instinct again. I think what happens though is that a lot of people stop at step 2.

Bruce Lee once said:

“Before I learned the art, a punch was just a punch, and a kick, just a kick.
      After I learned the art, a punch was no longer a punch, a kick, no longer a kick.
      Now that I understand the art, a punch is just a punch and a kick is just a kick.”

… I think this process is exactly what he was speaking of. There is a phase in our development where we are breaking things down, studying, learning, developing proficiency, etc. You can’t get stuck there though, you can’t stay there, you need to reach the point where you have all of those things dialled in. You have to reach the point where you don’t think about the “how” anymore and just let your shooting be guided by your heart and your vision (i.e. your instincts).

The circle of life? The circle of artistic development? 🙂

6. Geoff Mountfield says:

Ian, what a great article, I think your last paragraph sums this up ‘Fuji took a chance ‘ they showed us the essence of photography is taking pictures! Gave us simplicity again
    Geoff