Fujifilm X100F Street Photography

dscf1629

This is the third article in my ongoing series on the new Fujifilm X100F.  If you haven’t read the previous articles yet I have a full review of the camera HERE, and a detailed article on how I set it up for shooting on the street HERE.  In this post I’m going to share a series of street images captured with my pre-production X100F, but first I’d like to quickly answer a question somebody asked me on email me a few days ago:

“What is it about street photography that you love so much?”

It is definitely true that out of all the genres of photography that I do, street photography is my favourite.  For me, it is the perfect harmony of experiencing life: meeting new people, seeing new places and most importantly, creating art purely for the sake of it.  It isn’t client driven, it isn’t for sale, it is just for me.  I love that.  There is also the truth that shooting on the streets makes me a better photographer in all of the other genres that I shoot.  I see light better.  I react quicker.  It is a fact that I am a better wedding photographer, for example, because of the amount of time I spend on the streets.

Beyond that is the fact that street photography matters.  Many of the historic photographs we treasure, like the Victory Kiss photograph from New York City at the end of World War 2, are street photographs when you think about it.  So are many of the beautiful photographs we look at to remind of us of what life was like in the fifties, sixties, seventies, etc.    We aren’t just making images, we are documenting life.  Who knows what these photos will mean in twenty or thirty years.  When was the last time you saw a payphone?

I think the best thing about street photography is that there is always time to shoot it.  Always.  Photography doesn’t need to be a big “thing” all the time; it can be done in little snippets here and there throughout the day.  Did you arrive 15 minutes early for an appointment?  Then walk around the block and shoot 15 minutes of street photography.  Are you waiting for a loved one in the car while they are out shopping?  Then shoot the light spilling into the parkade and play with the light and the shadows that it creates.  You become a better photographer by taking photos… it is a muscle that needs to be flexed and with street photography that can be done every day.

And, finally, there is the beautiful simplicity of the gear requirements for street photography:  One camera… one lens… done. The rest comes down to your own artistic vision.

So let’s take a look at some street images taken with the X100F over the last few months, my favourite “one camera, one lens”.  Many of these photographs were taken not when I was out for a purposeful day of shooting, but instead when I had a little bit of time between other appointments and I had the camera with me (there is always time to shoot, right?).   As my copy of the camera is a pre-production model these are all shot in jpeg, and some had minor adjustments in Lightroom afterwards (slight exposure or contrast adjustments, etc).  All colour images were shot in the Classic Chrome film simulation and all black and white images where shot using the Acros simulation.  I hope you like them.

dscf2114

dscf1133-edit

dscf0058

dscf1914

dscf2638

dscf2466

dscf2276

We are getting very close to the official release of the Fujifilm X100F and I know many of you have pre-ordered it.  I can’t wait to see the work that you all produce when you have this new camera in your hands and I truly hope that you enjoy it as much as I do.

Now, as my good friend Valerie Jardin says, it is time to grab your camera and hit the streets!

p.s.  If you are interested in learning more about shooting street photography I have a few spaces left in my Vancouver and Toronto Street Photography Workshops this summer:

22 thoughts on “Fujifilm X100F Street Photography

1. londonschoolofmagic says:

Dear Ian

I have to say I have learnt so much from your and your blog – I love receiving your post. My X100T is my everyday camera and I shot an image every day with it.

Thank you for being such a GREAT teacher.

All the best

Mike Vincent

Michael Vincent Magic http://www.michaelvincentmagic.com

The Vincent Academy http://www.vincentacademy.co.uk Twitter Mikecards6

Facebook https://m.facebook.com/mike.vincent.7106

Instagram michaelvincentmagic

Fujiwarrior http://www.fujiwarrior.com

2. Anne Ete says:

Hi Ian,

Love your site, thanks for all the photography goodness.

When you shoot street with the 100X series cameras, do you always use the viewfinder, or do you sometimes shoot from the hip?

Anne Ete

Hey Jakub!

I do crop occasionally, yes. Sometimes a moment happens before I can get close enough, or sometimes I just prefer the image as a square crop.

3. Jan Seara says:

Thank you for continuing to get the message out how important it is to document everyday life. You’ve got a great way with words and you combine that with wonderful images that inspire! Keep up the great work my friend!

Regards, Jan

4. Dean says:

Hi. Thanks for your articles on this camera … I’ve read and enjoyed all of them. I’m seriously contemplating getting this camera.

I’m not really a Fuji shooter, however I have the X70 for a month or so and while I do like the colours and some of the new additions to software (min shutter of 1/500 for auto ISO) I find the auto focus a bit lacking for faced paced street photography. I find a lot of the time it goes back & forth for a split second before locking on. This is unlike my GX85 and 15/1.7 which doesn’t hesitate at all.

Can you tell me if the X100F’s AF locks on to subjects quickly without hesitation.

Dean

Here is what my friend Patrick Laroque wrote about the AF:

No. More. Refocusing.
      This.
      I can get used to absolutely anything…and I did. For years I used AF on the X-series and I knew each and every time I’d press the shutter the camera would go through the motions again and refocus again. So if I needed to stay in the moment, I’d either switch to manual or lock it down with AFL. But then Fuji gave us the X-Pro2 and the world suddenly became a little brighter: I could finally keep the shutter half-pressed and shoot to my heart’s content, for as long as I wanted, and the thing would just keep up—no more refocusing. Valhalla. Problem is, it spoiled me: anytime I’d pick up an older model, I’d instinctively expect the same behaviour and…well…a few curse words would usually leave the confines of my lips.

Not anymore: the X100F incorporates the new generation AF. It even goes further, displaying the AFL-EL symbol in the viewfinder as long as the shutter is kept half-pressed. Nice touch.”

5. nancymatheson@gmail.com says:

Hi Ian,
    In your article you included “meeting new people” in your list of reasons you love street photography. Most the photos you posted appear to be candid shots. How often do you actually stop and ask people if you can make an image of them, and what kind of response do you get. I must confess that shyness and a fear that I’m invading privacy make street photography a bit nerve racking for me.

Thanks … Nancy

6. kyle says:

Hey Ian,

Loving the mini X100F series! Mine arrived in the mail today and I just got back from my first photo walk with it! 🙂

I’ve noticed an interesting phenomenon when shooting with the X-T2 and now with the X100F. The viewfinders on these cameras are so bright that I’ll frequently find myself adjusting the exposure down when composing my shot…but when I view the image afterwards on the LCD it’s much too dark (confirmed by checking the histogram). There seems to be a really big disconnect between the brightness of the viewfinder and the way the image is actually rendered when the shot is taken. Have you noticed this yourself?

Thanks!