Photo Essay: A Winter’s Morning…

DSCF5900

Life moves incredibly fast, and sometimes you need to hit the pause button.  Last week I was driving home from a quick trip to Seattle (more on that in an upcoming blog post), and when I got back into town I was blown away by a beautiful sight:  Everything was covered in frost.  The ground, the trees, rooftops….  I arrived home to a winter wonderland.

I changed my plans so I could wake up early the next morning before sunrise, and headed down to one of the local rivers near my house.  I had a couple of hours completely by myself to walk, think, and shoot as the sun rose across the river.  This is important,  always remember to make time for yourself.   Make photographs for no other reason than it is what you love to do.

All photos in this post were taken with the Fuji X-T1 and either the 10-24mm, 18-55mm, or 55-200mm lens.  I hope you like them….

DSCF5915

DSCF5842-Edit

DSCF5829

DSCF5918

DSCF5826-Edit

DSCF5896

DSCF5946

DSCF5939

DSCF5922

There is a lot to talk about in the next few weeks:  New gear from Fuji, new interviews in the interview series, new photo essays, workshops… 2016 is shaping up to be a great year!

Until next time,

24 thoughts on “Photo Essay: A Winter’s Morning…

1. David Peake says:

Hi Ian.
    I love that you remind us to take some time for ourselves and shoot what we love just for the sake of it.
    I often do this as it helps me process other parts of my life.
    These images are lovely and it always makes me think about using what I have rather than splashing out on new gear.
    Fuji have made better lens than those two early zooms of which I have both, but they are still capable of making great images in the right hands. A testament to the Fuji quality and to the photographer . Well done. Timing and vision matter much more than gear in so many cases.
    Well done and thanks for the post.
    Regards
    David Peake.

Thanks David. I agree that Fuji’s lens lineup has definitely come a long way. I use the 10-24mm lens a fair bit, but the 18-55 and 55-200 rarely come out these days as I am primarily a prime shooter. It was nice to throw some old friends into the camera bag for this day and reacquaint myself with them. At the end of the day though it is always about the experience and the imagery. Thanks for posting!

2. Created by RCW says:

Some beautiful shots here, Ian.

It is amazing how the world can change when dabbed with winter’s brush. What just the day before may have been drab browns and greys is suddenly transformed into pure white diamonds and translucent quartz crystals.

Nicely done, sir.

It is. I think the mark of a potential artist is being able to see those changes, and not just walk by them because they are too preoccupied with something else.

• Created by RCW says:

I agree totally.

I also find it fascinating to consider what I saw when I took the shot versus what I see when I open the image on my computer. I don’t know if there is a subliminal or subconscious aspect to photography, but something is clearly happening.

3. kyle says:

These are beautiful! Just stumbled on your site, and I’m already a fan!

If you don’t mind a sharing a little insight, what techniques did you use to process the second image (of the boat on the lake)? The tones of the snow/ice almost feel warm, but not in a way that compromises the overall feel of the scene (i.e., wintry!)…it’s very pleasing! No worries if you’d prefer to keep your secrets to yourself, though! 🙂

Thank you for your kind words Kyle! There wasn’t significant editing done to that image, actually. I adjusted the white balance slightly, lifted the shadows a little, then raised the whites until it looked the way it felt to me that morning.

Many thanks Cameron. I am definitely a prime shooter at heart, but there are times where the versatility of the zooms is a great thing.